среда, 19 августа 2015 г.

Join your boards together like this. Just pre-drill from the back and attach your screws.

Join your boards together like this. Just pre-drill from the back and attach your screws.


Join your boards together like this. Just pre-drill from the back and attach your screws.


How did you mount them to the wall? Could I just screw directly into my walls where I find studs? Do I need to pre-drill holes? I am not that handy and neither is my husband. We have limited tools. Could we just screw them directly into the walls?


Jennifer..did you know that you can rent tools? Or borrow from a relative or neighbor? Buy one power tool at a time or when yours or your husband's birthdays come around or Christmas, ask for a power tool. I don't know what the cost of renting tools would be but why not ask a relative or friend that owns or knows how to use the power tools work with you and hubby and show you how to use them? My DH has so many power tools and he can't physically use them now but I've worked along side of him enough in 50 years that I wouldn't be afraid to try to use them, but I'd still want him to show me how and be there when I first start using them to show me the proper way to use them and the safety issues. Good Luck! You can do this, you can!


I am very new to this and have a question. I had my wood cut at Lowe's as I do not have a saw and all the ends and edges are really frayed. Is there any way to avoid that and would they be less frayed if I tried cutting the pieces myself?


Buy some sandpaper and a sand paper block or wrap the sandpaper around a block of wood and sand those \"fray edges\" or if you know somebody that owns an electric sander, ask them if they can sand it smooth for you. Ask them to let you see how it is done and you'll learn from that. Price out some power tools..Craftsman tools from Sears have always been good, Ryobi is good as is Black and Decker. We had a Black and Decker power drill to burn up on us when we were drilling pressure treated lumber on time and it was only a few months old, called the 800# and sent a letter, and in a week they shipped us a brand new drill.


I never thought about asking Lowe's or Home Depot to cut lumber to size you need. I knew they did because we've had them to cut MDF or plywood for us before but only one or two cuts. I think they cut a certain number free, then they charge for anything over that. Best to ask before hand. I think I would do that with this project, because we don't have a truck anymore and I would need to be able to fit the boards in my car.


These are awesome! Just the thing I need for my latest project, our multi-task room. How did you attach to the wall. With hangers it more securely attached to the wall?


I love them! I'm going to try it. How did you attach them to the wall? I have plaster walls so I'd probably have to use sink hooks, but just wondering....


Working on these this weekend for our home library for books. So far it's been a breeze and can't wait to see the finished product. Did you use a polyurethane finish or a seal after the stain or just the stain?


Recently I was really, really low on cash and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money.. on the internet. I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I've been far more able to pay my bills! I'm so glad, I did this! With all the financial stress these years, I really hope all of you will give it a chance. - ajfz


BEAUTIFUL! Love them and love they're so easy .. question being that you just used glue do you have any idea of how much weight they could bare?


Pinned these too! :)


Pamela


PBJstories.cokm


a friend made these for me i cant take credit but i love them!!


I just finished painting mine and I am thrilled with how it looks! I dusted off my Kreg Jig box that had never been opened. After watching your tutorial on how to use it I felt more confident. And for Mother's Day I bought myself the cordless nailer you recommended, so I had the perfect tools and no more excuses. I am now ready to build all kinds of things!!! I am so proud of myself. Can't wait to hang it up tomorrow! Thanks so much!


If I predrill to connect my 1x4's Do I predrill through both pieces of wood or just the outer one (back piece)?


Both! :-)


Great!! Thanks so much! :)


He say at the top how to attach to wall - These are super easy to attach to your wall too! I used 2\u2033 drywall screws directly into the studs of the wall. I didn’t even have to cover the screws because the things I put on the shelves covered them easily.


Hello, what is the name of the paint color on the wall where you hung the shelves?


I want to make many of these with larger boards to make a series of tracks around the house for my cat to run on. Shelving gets expensive, this looks like the cheapest deal for my project.


I still don't understand how to hang them... :-(


How did you mount these to the wall?


Loved this project! Easy and looks fabulous in the entry way of my new home!


How did you mount this to the wall?


I used the exact same stain color from Lowe's and mine turned out a completely different color. Way more chocolatey.


How did you stain it to get this color?


And I was really going for the color yours are


How did you stain the wood to get this color? I bought the same stain from Lowe's but mine turned out way more chocolate in color


Will this work on plaster walls?


I'm totally New to this.. how did you mount these?


Did you use a Kreg Jig like Ana did or did you just screw and glue? If we were to see the back of the shelf, we would see the screws right? I am a total beginner without a Kreg Jig and just trying to figure out if I have the steps correct. Also - I would LOVE to know how you mounted these to the wall. I am just not visualizing very well how to get these onto the wall. Thanks much!!


Lovely idea - very good tutorial :)


are these the shelves that you used to display your chippy picture frames??


Are the jig holes meant for the drywall screws to attach to the walls? Or just to attach the back side 1x4?


Could you use 1x6's instead of 1x4's?


Hi! COMPLETE beginner here, so I have a couple reeeally basic questions.


Are the pieces of wood held together only by glue, or did you also screw/nail them together? If so, can you describe exactly what you did?


Next-- how did you mount them to the wall? It's not covered in the pictures and, again, I've never done anything like this before, so I'm sure it's a really basic thing that I'm just not aware of.


Thank you!


Genie


Made a couple of these, one is 48\". It was glued and nailed, and is going to be painted. The other is 41\". It was glued, screwed and plugged, and is going to be stained.


Thanks for sharing. Planning on making more.


What are the kreg settings and what size screws to use please? Thank you


Wow! I want to put shelves in my bathroom and this is perfect. So glad I found your blog!


Please tell us how you hung the shelves. :)


Hi! What size finish nails did you use to attach the 1x2? Thanks so much!


How do you hang the shelves?


Thank you a whole bunch! I have been wanting these shelves and don't want to spend the huge amount of money they want at the stores and on line to buy them! Literally, $300 for the hall I want to fill with just four 8-foot shelves. This looks like a really easy tutorial to follow and it is something I think I can do myself. I can see my daughter enlisting my help once mine are up - so thank you in advance on her behalf! You rock!


Thank you so much! I absoloutly love these in my little boy's room. Where did you get your plane sketches that you put on your son'e shelf. I have been looking for something like that forever and refuse to buy the $200 from pottery barn :/


Ive been wanting shelves for a while and this is a great idea that doesn't spend a lot of money on them! (which explains why i haven't gotten any shelves yet lol)


Thank you!! We made these this weekend and they look amazing!!!! I'm hanging them over my tub in the master bath. I think they might look better than Pottery barn only because of the rougher finish!! Did I say Thannk you!!!?? Now Im deciding where else I might use these--maybe a series of them in a hallway for a gallery look with picture frames!? --can't wait!


love--thanks again for sharing and saving me some moola!!


Just what I've been looking for!! I'm going to build for my craft room, love your taste that's the exact color stain I'll use already did my desk and then crates to stack for bookcase and other junk... thanks bunches


Thanks for the instructions. I've just made one for my son's room.


Please visit my blog to have a look at the pictures ;)


http://lifecapturedfullness.bl....


Thanks so much for this tutorial! I just made my own shelf and am in LOVE! I can't believe how easy it was too. Thanks again!! You can check it out here it you want - http://breezypinkdaisies.blogs...


This is a great idea! I wanted to do EXACTLY this in my hallway above my newly re-painted hall cabinet and for some reason could not conceptualize it. Thanks for the idea!! Running to Lowe's right now ;) Oh, and I bought the \"dark walnut\" stain a while back to build the \"FAMILY\" sign you designed, so I have a ton left over! I have so many ideas to use it for now! I even build some \"pallet\" type boxes to use as drawers in my hall cabinet- 16\" wide by 22\" deep, and used the dark walnut stain. I am attaching a picture of the progress... your blog inspired me! The cabinet used to be a light maple color- I painted and antiqued it and swapped out the middle cabinet for the pallet type drawers. Loving it now!


This is a great idea! I wanted to do EXACTLY this in my hallway above my newly re-painted hall cabinet and for some reason could not conceptualize it. Thanks for the idea!! Running to Lowe's right now ;) Oh, and I bought the \"dark walnut\" stain a while back to build the \"FAMILY\" sign you designed, so I have a ton left over! I have so many ideas to use it for now! I even build some \"pallet\" type boxes to use a drawers in my hall cabinet- 16\" wide by 22\" deep. I am attaching a picture of the progress... your blog inspired me! The cabinet used to be a light maple color- I painted and antiqued it and swapped out the middle cabinet for the pallet type drawers. Loving it now!


your projects are so inspiring. i actually have been looking for something simple and stylish such as this for a shelf im building above the inside of my shower. something to store my shower bottles yet using what little space i have to work with. im over pre made wire caddys and really wanted to get creative. my only concern is it holding up to shower steam and what wood would be appropriate for water.


That’s right… ANYONE! These are super simple to build! This is by far my favorite $20 project to date.


I have been in the process of redoing my oldest son’s room over the last few weeks. I shared his bed HERE and the headboard HERE.


I know one of the next things on my to do list will be a desk, and I knew I wanted some shelving for above it. I found THIS plan on Ana’s site and jumped on it.


If you own a drill (every woman should!) you can build these shelves. I made 2 for my son, and I also made 2 for my younger sister. Each shelf cost $10 to build. Here are a few tips and progress shots…


You will need 2 – 1×4’s and 1 – 1×2 for each shelf. That’s it!


I made 8\u2032 shelves so no need to use a saw. I also used my Kreg Jig, but if you don’t own one you can just pre-drill your holes and use wood screws to attach everything. I prefer drywall screws, but both will work. You will also need wood glue. I started by adding a line of glue where my 1×4’s meet.


Join your boards together like this. Just pre-drill from the back and attach your screws. Now add some more glue to edge of your bottom 1×4… And use some finish nails to attach your 1×2! That’s it! Not even kidding!


I didn’t even worry about filling nail holes because I stained mine and I like the imperfections… So shanty!


I used my new favorite stain on mine…


Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut


I LOVE this stuff… It dries beautifully within an hour… Whoop! You can get it at Lowe’s.


These are super easy to attach to your wall too! I used 2\u2033 drywall screws directly into the studs of the wall. I didn’t even have to cover the screws because the things I put on the shelves covered them easily.


I got them up and took some pictures for you!


And if you aren’t quite convinced please look at this picture… Screen shot 2012-01-24 at 6.50.55 PM


Yes. Looks familiar! You can find this lovely at Pottery Barn, except it costs $85 for 4\u2032! That’s half the length and 8 times the price. No thank you!


What do you think???


You OFFICIALLY have no excuse to not build! These are easier than putting together anything you can find in a store. I LOVE them.


You can see the detailed plans HERE on Ana’s site!


FINALLY…


Did you like it??? Would you be a dear and PIN IT please?!? I would appreciate it greatly


Thanks so much and happy Tuesday!


~Whitney


Original article and pictures take http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2012/01/20-shelves-anyone-can-build.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+shanty-2-chic%252FWwSe+%2528Shanty2Chic%2529 site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий