пятница, 7 августа 2015 г.

Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps

Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps


Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps


Our new place has a LOT of stairs leading up to the front door (compared to the one step we had at the condo). If I still lived in the Salt Lake Valley it would be a little bit of an issue having 8 or so steps, but out here, we get a good 10+ inches of snow each storm…we’ve already lost our gazebo due to this snow pack, the roof completely caved in…Rest In Peace Gazebo:( . See, this is our front yard a good week after our last storm, even with plenty of warm days and time to melt there is still a ton (I wasn’t joking when I told my mom our snow was knee deep last week).


Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps


Anyway, back to the stairs. Many CEMENT stairs + lots of snow and ice = A MAJOR DEATH TRAP! So much so, that when we have a storm, I really shouldn’t wait until my husband gets home to salt the stairs. This one I need to do on my own. The problem with that is that with three young children at home I can barely take out the trash, let alone get out all the winter stuff and salt the steps. Well, I decided to simplify the process by putting our Ice-Melt right next to the front door, but I really didn’t want to have a plastic bag or a plastic bucket hanging out right there…especially if it’s going to be there all winter long. I wanted to class it up a bit. So, I gathered up a few supplies and had a fun little project. I think it turned out pretty cute so I thought I’d share.


Read on for some basic instruction and a couple of links to the products that I used.


Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps


I bought the 8 Qt Bucket, which I plan on using for other things in the summer-time (it’s only going to be filled w/salt so it’ll still be safe, when washed, to use for picking fruit later on). If you have way more steps than I do you may want to get one just a little bigger. I’m estimating a full bucket to last us an entire winter.


Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps


Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps


Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps


Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps


I tied the Bow onto the pail handle with the same crafting wire and made sure to tuck the poky ends out of the way so that I don’t jab my hand when I lift it.


Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps


I waited to cut the ribbon until I had the handle down & crimped the streaming pieces of the bow a bit. I wanted it to be just long enough to not touch the table when the handle is down.


Ice Melt Storage Solution For The Front Steps


I used some crappy scissors to cut the wire ribbon…I was NOT about to use my nice fabric scissors knowing the wire would mess them up pretty badly if I did.


Here it is! The Bow isn’t perfect, but it’s better than no Bow. Frankly, this is a HUGE improvement for me. I couldn’t tie a decent bow when I got married, my husband had to show me how (sad I know). I just tied things the same way I tied my shoes.


The BEST part and whole reason I did this project… It now only takes me about one minute to salt the stairs. Which is a do-able amount of time to leave the kids alone.


If you’d like to do this project too, here are links to the following products that I used:


Wired Edge Burlap Craft Ribbon ( I used around 1.5 yards for this Bow)


Behrens Galvanized Steel Pail (comes in several sizes, I used the 8 Qt)


24 Oz Scoop (is big enough to do our 8 steps with about ½ a scoop)


Let me know how you like it and please remember to share/pin it! Thanks~Sarah


Original article and pictures take http://lifeshouldcostless.com/2013/12/ice-melt-storage-solution-for-front.html site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий